January 24, 2018
Located a mile west of Potsdam’s city center is Sanssouci Park , the largest park in Brandenburg at 700 acres hectares, with around 70 km of walkways. The name Sanssouci is derived from a French phrase sans souci, which translates to “without concerns.” The park is home to Palace Sanssouci, the Rococo-style Hohenzollern Palace designed by Prussian painter and architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff between 1745 and 1747, to serve as King Frederick’s summer palace, and place of relaxation. In the western part stands the New Palace, completed in 1769 to celebrate Prussia’s victory in the Seven Years’ War. Nearby is the Temple of Friendship, built in memory of King Frederick’s sister Markgravine Wilhelmine of Bayreuth who died in 1758. Since 1990, Sanssouci Park has been listed among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.